Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jordanian Wardrobe

Sacramento was sweltering today; heat waves danced up from the asphalt turning the streets into shimmering mirages. Driving through the city, I rolled down the windows and let my hands float in the hot breeze. On a mission to find clothes for Jordan, I was thrift store hopping and the results were proving trickier than I had expected. It's not easy to find long-sleeve shirts and sweaters when it's 106 degrees outside, so my shopping turned into an epic treasure hunt.

The Jordanian dress code is not extreme, but it takes thinking. Women are expected to dress conservatively, which I completely understand and respect, but it's a bit of a wardrobe puzzle. I've got my floor-length hippy skirts, slacks for our time in class and clinic, button up shirts, and numerous 3/4-sleeve sweaters. I want to pack as little as possible, but don't want to forget anything vital. So I've officially created an organized pile of clothes on one end of my couch and keep arranging outfits I think will work. It's hard to know what to expect, temperature and culture-wise, as I've never traveled to the Middle East. It's been a flurry of texting and facebooking the other girls on the trip to figure out what they're planning to pack.

I've got skirts and scarves and sweaters and slacks. I think I'm pretty ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment